Sunday, November 14, 2004

It was pointed out to me that I was missing the gin in my post on the Corpse Reviver #2, which is embarassing, but only half as embarassing as the fact that when I made the drink for that very same person who noticed the missing gin, I omitted the lemon juice entirely.

The lemon juice, after all, is a fairly key ingredient. In my defense, we'd had three martinis beforehand. One was made with Hendrick's gin, one with Plymouth and another with a French gin called Citadelle which was imported specially for the martini experiment. Althought the Citadelle was lovely, light and spring-like, and made with 19 exotic botanicals, the Hendrick's still won out. It's very distinct juniper-lavender-with-a-cucumber-finish is just very lovely for those who like that kind of thing. Plymouth, it was declared, was very English. It makes for a very fine, crisp, classic martini.

So, we'd have liked to have had a Bombay Sapphire martini for one final comparison but I knew I only had one more cocktail in me and it had to be the Corpse Reviver #2. Now, without the lemon, it is not really a Corpse Reviver #2 at all, but strangely enough, my friend really enjoyed it. In fact, when I fixed it, she declared she preferred the earlier version. Next time, I will experiment with a half an ounce of lemon juice.

Since all this transpired, Dr. Cocktail has sent me some vaulable feedback and a new cocktail recipe for the Twentieth Century Cocktail. Last night I finally tried this new concoction and declared it to be quite lovely. Doc advises using half an ounce of Creme de Cacao rather than three quarters and says we might want to play around with a little less. I quite agree. At first, all I could taste was chocolate, although, it did have a strange way of dissapearing after the second or so sip. And, it was sort of chocolatey on the top with a different middle and finish. Quite interesting. Thank you, Doc.