Sunday, May 30, 2004

Regrettably, thanks to my companion's ruptured patella tendon and the ensuing surgery and recovery time, I have not had time for either blogging or tequila tasting. Until last night, that is.

Imagine my surprise when I closely examined the bottle of Hacienda de Chihuahua Anejo I mentioned a couple of posts ago, and discovered the drink was not tequila at all, but rather, a Sotol.

Sotol, it turns out, is a new product made from a plant know as Desert Spoon -- in the agave family but not quite blue agave. It is being billed as an alternative to the very expensive tequilas, which as everybody should know, shot up in price a few years ago thanks to the combination of an agave shortage and a surge in popularity. More on Sotol and its invention can be found here.

I was quite concerned while opening the bottle that we had mistakenly bought a cheap tequila imitator and entirely prepared to be dissapointed but, instead was pleasantly surprised by a unique, smooth and very light tasting liquor. The article I linked to claims that some people actually prefer Sotol to tequila. Now, I wouldn't go quite that far, although it would be fair to say that I prefer it to some tequilas.

Perfectly enjoyable drink and, considering the price, bound to become a widely enjoyed alternative to tequila. Not available in Ontario, of course.