Wednesday, June 25, 2003

I'm often resistant to the portrayal of Canada as slightly more humane and progressive than our neighbours to the South but I have to admit that Vancouver's new safe-injection site leaves me impressed. This, in combination with other recent events, has me wondering if we are finally living up to our reputation.

Vancouver Mayor Larry Campbell was quoted as saying:

"There's a part of me that says I'm prepared to try anything to save people's lives and to help them overcome addiction," he said.

"We're not going to get rid of drug trafficking and drug addiction in the city of Vancouver," added Campbell. "That's not going to happen.

"What we will do is get it under control and those people who are addicted will be in a position to get the help they want."

This all just makes Toronto's mayoral race yet more disheartening.